Abby’s Closet is always looking for good volunteers. The best way to learn about volunteer opportunities is to subscribe to our email newsletter, so you will receive the latest information. Or join our Facebook page. If you have any special skills, ideas or suggestions for us, please send an email or call us. We would love to hear from you. Below is a list of our current volunteer opportunities, suggestions for other ways you could help us and steps for organizing a dress donation drive.
Click here to download an Abby’s Closet flyer.
SUGGESTIONS FOR WAYS YOU CAN HELP ABBY’S CLOSET:
- Organize a dress donation drive (see suggestions below) at your high school or college, sorority, church, business, neighborhood, social or service club, etc. We will give you all of the materials (die-cut flyers, posters, tax receipts, etc.) and a list of helpful hints and suggestions. It’s simple. Please contact us so we can help.
- Forward the latest newsletter on to family, friends and co-workers.
- Encourage your bridal attendants to donate their gowns after the wedding.
- Host a party and ask your guests to all bring gowns and/or accessories to donate.
- At your next formal function, put a note on each table reminding the women to donate their gowns afterwards.
- Post Abby’s Closet flyers in public places.
- Add information about Abby’s Closet in your next community, church or business newsletter.
- Invite a speaker from Abby’s Closet to come to your next meeting or event to talk about the organization.
- Seamstresses can make formal wraps out of extra fabric to donate.
- Purchase formal gowns, wraps and purses at garage sales, re-sale and consignment shops, discount stores, etc.
SUGGESTIONS FOR ORGANIZING A DRESS DONATION DRIVE:
- Email Abby’s Closet to let us know that you are organizing a drive. We will then provide you with materials, tips and suggestions.
- Decide on the Dates for the Drive. Most drives typically last 2-3 weeks.
- Decide Where Dresses Will be Collected and How They Will Be Stored. Make sure they are in convenient locations. Large cardboard boxes (decorated?), wardrobe moving boxes, rolling clothes racks work great for collecting dresses.
- Prepare Your Marketing Materials. Abby’s Closet can email you flyers and posters that can be adapted for your dress drive.
- Distribute Flyers and Hang Up Posters. Ask friends to help hand out and hang up flyers and posters. Be sure to think about large-traffic areas.
- Publicize the Drive. Publicize the drive through community announcements or newspapers. Contact the Abby’s Closet PR Lead for assistance with this.
- Collect Donations. A tax receipt is available on our website (“Donations”). If donors would like a tax receipt, please have them complete the top half of the receipt, and take the bottom half. When drive is completed, give the tax receipts to Abby’s Closet.
- Contact Abby’s Closet For Donation Pick-Up. You can call the Abby’s Closet hotline (503.722.1524) .to arrange for donations to be picked up.
- Thank Your Donors and Committee Members. Put a follow-up message in your community announcements or newspaper thanking your donors and letting them know that they can donate year-round (there are donation drop-off sites listed on the website). In addition, you will want to thank your committee members who helped with the drive.